Wednesday, December 21, 2011

STOP: c00002e2 Directory Services could not start

c00002e2

Out of a sudden, one of the Windows 2008 Server Standard x64 Domain Controller encountered the following BSOD error:

-c00002e2 Directory Services could not start because of the following error:

-A device attached to the system is not functioning.

-Error Status: 0x0000001.

Most of the solutions points to the disk where the NTDS is located. In virtualized environments, after changes have been made to the virtual disk setting (for instance a P2V), the second disk (in most cases storing the NTDS) were found offline. The solution would to simply boot into Directory Services Restore Mode, go to the Windows Storage Manager and re-online the affected disk.

However, in my case, I am only using a single disk with a single SYSTEM partition for both my OS & NTDS. Furthermore, in the DSRM, the disk were (surely) online.

Unusually, the solution was to simply backdate the system date in my BIOS (on Virtualized platforms, the virtual BIOS). I backdated the date to a few months back & the Domain Controller booted successfully into the OS.

I can now proceed to restore/replicate/demote/promote my Domain Controller.

9 comments:

khalidsaada said...

hello

how can you change the BIOS clock when you are running on virtual plattform ???

do you mean to change the BIOS settings for the physical server that is holding the HYPER V ?

Carl Billington said...

I genuinely cannot believe this worked for me!! Good work!!

Aref said...

Yes, worked for me too!

Shazrin said...

On VMware ESXi bootup, the hypervisor obtains the time from BIOS/uEFI (UTC) and displays it as localtime. However, when the time is changed from management GUI/CLI of the ESXi, the hypervisor updates the BIOS/uEFI time accordingly (and converts it back to UTC).
Windows' w32tm should function about the same.
On Ubuntu, there is /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh and hwclockfirst.sh which would read/update the BIOS clock during sysinit.

shail said...

Hi All,

We have done bios date to be backdated but issue remain same.

Can any1 help me out of this.??

Regards,

Shail

Unknown said...

Absolutely bizarre, but this worked for me, as well. I backdated the system via BIOS by a few months and was able to then start the system normally. I then restored the date to today's date, rebooted, and Windows Server booted up fine. I'm trying to think through the logic of this and haven't come up with a rationale for its success, yet. Thanks for the tip, and thanks to Google for leading me to it!

Bruno Chagas said...

If you have Systemstate backup in VHD file, You can:
01-mount the VHD Backup on Hyper-V(Windows Explorer)
02-Look for a folder called Backup into WindowsServerBackupImage.
03-Mount again the other VHD file and look for NTDS folder. Copy it.
04-Shutdown Domain Controller VM and mount her VHD on Hyper-V Server
05-Rename NTFS Folder to NTFS.old in Domain Controller VHD.
06-Copy the NTFS Folder finded in Backup.
07-Dismount all VHD and turn on the Domain Controller VM.

That it. Services working again on Domain Controller.

Cesar Chagas -> www.facebook.com/brunoescola

Patrice VINCENT said...

Thanks a lot, this works for me too. I have restored on a test machine a Shadowprotect save and having the same issue.
Thanks !!!

Atnish Chand said...

I have the same issue..I have changed the BIOS time on the system where the VM is loaded ..the issue persisted. Did you mean change the time and then do a P2V?